Sunday, August 12, 2012

your grace is enough

there's a song by this title that matt maher sings.  it's based on this quote from 2 corinthians 12:9:


He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.

the word that i am most focused on right now is "enough."  the homily at mass this morning was one of those amazing-hit-you-where-it-hurts-didn't-even-know-you-needed-to-learn-this-lesson-until-you-heard-it kind of messages.

true confession:  my greatest weakness/sin/character flaw, whatever you want to call it, is probably that i don't live my life as if everything that is, is enough.  i want to be grateful for everything and have an "attitude of gratitude" and an "abundance perspective".  but more often than not, i don't.  i find myself wishing for more or different or less or not even noticing the blessings before me because i'm too d--- busy.  i get so caught up in what i want, what i need, being too tired, too stressed, hungry, thirsty, lonely, angry...

today's gospel was about the bread of life and how Jesus gives himself to us so that we can be strong.  these words from john were of great comfort to me today:

I am the living bread that came down from heaven;
whoever eats this bread will live forever;
and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.

it also always helps for me to think about life as a journey.  perhaps the greatest gift the camino gave me.  but when i hear these words, i hear Jesus offering me strength for the journey.  so in the coming weeks, as school starts back, as i inevitably struggle to maintain work/life balance, as i fall short of what i hope to accomplish day after day...i hope i remember to turn to God.  i hope i remember that his grace truly is sufficient.  i hope i remember that when i am weak, God is strong, and i am never alone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment