Sunday, March 17, 2013

Three Decades of Life

*dear reader, please note...i started this post when i actually turned 30, but never finished it.  i decided it deserved to be posted before i turned 31, finished or not!

These words from Tim McGraw's song, "My Next 30 Years" are almost* perfect as I reflect on three decades of life:


Best celebration a girl could imagine!
I think I’ll take a moment, celebrate my age
The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it’s time to focus in on where I go from here
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years

Hey my next thirty years I’m gonna have some fun
Try to forget about all the crazy things I’ve done
Maybe now I’ve conquered all my adolescent fears
And I’ll do it better in my next thirty years

My next thirty years I’m gonna settle all the scores
Cry a little less, laugh a little more
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear
Figure out just what I’m doing here
In my next thirty years

Oh my next thirty years, I’m gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I’ll remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife live without strife*
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here, in my next thirty years



Having officially been 30 for over a month  almost a year, I am over the shock of it enough to finally write about it.  I was quite amused last month last year when I came across this article on Huffington Post (originally published by "Glamour" magazine).  It's a list of 30 things every woman should have and know by the age of 30.  Let's just say apparently it's time... to start saving some money for old age, to buy a cordless drill, to once and for all establish an exercise routine, and to start flossing regularly.  I think I've got the other 26 down.  Not that I'm going to let this article dictate my life, or that I agree with everything in it, but you know.  Goals are always good!

Most of all, when I look back on the last 30 years of my life, I have two major thoughts.
1. I am so very grateful.  
2. I still have so much to learn!

This lucky lady's life journey is about to take a major twist, so of course I am anxious and excited to see what's in store!  Praying for grace, as always!

No comments:

Post a Comment