Wednesday, August 11, 2010

grace in days off

my mom and grandma have always lived by mother cabrini's quote, "we have all of eternity in which to rest; now let us work!"

don't get me wrong, i love to work hard- especially at work worth doing, which is how i think of the work expected of me everyday.  most of the time, i love what i do.

but it's summer, gosh darn it, and sometimes you just need a day off!

this week has been such a gift of grace to me.  they are doing the floors at school, an annual event that every teacher dreads (because it means getting everything off the floor and ready to be moved) and every administrator loves (because it means "working from home" or not working at all!).  my week has been a balance of the two.  i have been checking voicemail and email and responding as much as i can with the resources i have here at home, as well as doing some planning, ordering of school supplies, etc.  but i've also done a lot of sitting around in my pj's, going to the gym, hanging out with friends, running errands and just generally taking care of myself and doing the things i don't normally have/make time for.  not quite the adventures that ferris chose for his day off, but perfect for me.



it has been divine.

tomorrow, i'm going in to school to check on the progress  the floors and do some work at school that i can't do here at home.  even though i know it's going to be a long day, i'm actually excited to get in there and get busy.  that's the grace of a day off...mental rest, relaxation, and preparation for the next day on.

No comments:

Post a Comment