Friday, November 26, 2010

grace in the love, comfort, and acceptance of family

The view at Grandma's house!
this year, although i am thankful for many things (including a wonderful new job that i do love very much), i am concentrating today on how good it feels to be in familiar surroundings with my wonderful family (minus my wonderful sister, although her presence is very much felt).  this is the first time i have seen them since school started, and i have been trying for two days to pinpoint what it is that feels so special about this time in comparison with the other four thanksgivings i've driven down to meet them at this same place, with these same people.

i think it comes down to the simple fact that i feel like i can truly be myself, i can truly relax, and i don't have to worry about complaints or criticism; my family loves me no matter what, they believe in the work i'm doing, and they are proud of me, imperfections, inexperience, and all.  everybody deserves to surround themselves with such wonderfulness on occasion.  don't get me wrong; the people i work with are caring and affirming in their own ways, but i am still working hard everyday to build relationships, to build trust, to gain confidence...and rarely do i feel like i can totally let my guard down, because as soon as i do, somebody comes in needing me to put out yet another fire or complaining about a decision i made.  i feel like i always have to be "on".  here, i can truly turn it all off.  in my mom's loving embrace, my dad's delicious cooking, and my grandma's listening ear, i find the peace of mind that i sometimes forget i am seeking in everyday life.  in this love, comfort, and acceptance, i feel i am receiving the grace i need to make it until the next time i see them- just a short month away.  thank you, God, for family!

No comments:

Post a Comment